What To Do If You Are In An Automotive Accident
Your simple step by step accident action plan.
- STAY CALM: Turn on your hazard lights and move your vehicle to a safe location if possible.
- CHECK FOR INJURIES: Do not move yourself or anyone else if it poses a risk of further injury. Stiffness, achiness and soreness in your neck and back are indications that you have been injured.
- CALL 911: Even if you believe the accident is minor you need to request that a police officer come to the scene of the accident. If you are stiff or sore you should inform them that you have been injured and request that an ambulance be sent. Do not leave the scene before the police arrive and obtain the police report number from the police.
- DO NOT DISCUSS: It is crucial that you do not discuss the accident with the other party and do not provide a statement to their insurance carrier.
- GET DRIVER INFORMATION: Obtain from drivers of all other vehicles involved in the accident the following: Name; Address; Telephone; Insurance company and policy number; and Driver’s license state and number.
- GET WITNESS INFORMATION: Obtain from any and all witnesses to the accident the following: Name; Address; Telephone; and their version of what happened.
- THINK BEFORE SPEAKING: Do not tell anyone that you were at fault and do not speak more than necessary to the other parties involved in the accident. If another party admits fault, make a mental or written note of what was said.
- PHOTOGRAPHS: Take photographs of all vehicles involved in the accident, the location of the accident and any visible injuries that you or another person may have sustained.
- SEEK MEDICAL TREATMENT IMMEDIATELY: Many times injuries sustained in an automobile accident will not be felt immediately. This does not mean that you are not injured. Looking out for your health and physical well-being is the most important thing you can do.
- DOCUMENT THE FACTS: Write down how the accident happened, what was said after the accident, how you were feeling and any other related information regarding the accident and your injuries.
- CONTACT THE LAW OFFICE OF CHILD & JACKSON: Only an experienced personal injury attorney can protect your rights and get you the results you deserve. Child & Jackson will do this for you and will put your interests above anything else. Call (916) 932-2170 to schedule an appointment with an experienced personal injury attorney.